Thursday, May 15, 2008



So lately I've been walking around with my head hanging down. Not in shame but on the hunt.....for disgusting little critters. I noticed about a week ago some unwanted guest. Black carpenter ants. In case you haven't come in contact with one of these ferocious beast they are about an inch long. After extensive internet research... Ok 5 minutes, I found a few interesting facts.


1) They don't travel in lines like their sister Argentine ant.

2) They nest in weakened mildew wood (thank God we rent).

3) My favorite fact.... they bite!!! Non poisonous but can be painful and leave a red bump for a few days.

4)They are most active at night. Great!

5) I did hear a rumour that if you kill one they give off a scent or silent war cry that alerts their friends.


It is no secret that I have a serious problem with bugs. I've even been known to call the police once for an excessive fly problem. The sad thing is the Hillsborough police department actually came to investigate.

My wonderful husband decided to take matters into his own hands. Our landlord said it was too much of a liability. He sprayed the perimeter of the house. This has helped a little....the aftermath was pretty freaky. I couldn't even name most of the dead bugs. Wish me luck. I'm doing better I haven't dialed 911 ....... yet.

No comments: